book is a refreshingly candid and helpful business guide
for artists who want to promote their work."
Diana Adams, artist, photographer 2/15/2010
The first priority of an artist is to create art.
Some artists stop at this level, but for many,
the next step is to market and sell their artwork.
How can artists market
How can artists promote themselves?
Many artists rely on trial-and-error
methods, but need to:
- realize their art is a retail commodity and
inform the public it is available for sale;
- learn how to create a promotional package and
be aware of their various options;
- plan a realistic course of action when
targeting geographic areas;
- continually reassess their position in the art
market and stay in touch with their public.
Nannette's Five Steps
of Promotion provides a systematic approach to
fine-art product and shows how retail-selling
tactics can link art to business without
the artist's integrity.
(What to do before
STEP II: MARKETING PREPARATION
III: EXPOSURE MODES
STEP V: OPENING RECEPTION AND SALES
- yourself and your art product with note-taking
- speaking intelligently about your art, and how
to determine your talking points;
- portfolios, resumes, photographing your art,
inventory listings, cover letters, pricing;
- networking, referrals, interviewing,
- the Internet;
- galleries, exhibitions, opening reception,